[WikiEN-l] Fwd: [Foundation-l] Board statement regarding biographies of l...

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Wed Apr 22 18:24:26 UTC 2009

Several times it has happened in the five years that I've been in-world,
that people have contacted me to make changes in their own biographies, once
they've gotten stymied in the process.

I have never once, not one single time, assumed they were the person in
question.  I always verify, independently who they are, through some official
channel.  For example, a radio host, can be verified by finding the official
site for the radio station, checking for that person in their listings which
frequently will have an "email me here"  button and you can confirm the
email addresses are the same or something like that.

There are always ways to fool any system, but doing nothing to verify
identify, on controversial issues,  is a good path to creating more problems, not
fewer ones.

The funniest one, was when a BLP on a highly-charged pseudo-historian was
in conflict and the subject contacted me, not to actually fix it, but to do
genealogical research *for him*.  I never really figured out whether he knew
that I was the main culprit in making his biography neutral and forcing out
the hagiographical details.  But I made fifty bucks so I'm not complaining.

Will Johnson