[WikiEN-l] Citizendium vs. Wikipedia

Steve Summit scs at eskimo.com
Wed Apr 22 18:14:23 UTC 2009

dgerard wrote:
> Indeed. People speak of de:wp as more encyclopedia-like,
> better-written, etc. than en:wp, but I've asked a couple of German
> speakers about this and they tend to actually *use* en:wp as a
> reference ... because it seems that in practice, breadth counts more
> for usefulness than does looking like someone's ideal of an
> encyclopedia.

Indeed, indeed, indeed.  And yet, en:wp has backslid quite a bit
there, too.

A few years ago, in what I now think of as its heyday, Wikipedia
was a useful one-stop-shopping place to look up *anything*.
Today, it's still darn good, but you can only be sure of finding
something if it's relatively mainstream.  Deletionism (enabled,
of course, by WP:RS) seems to have won out.