[WikiEN-l] Fwd: [Foundation-l] Board statement regarding biographies of l...

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Tue Apr 21 19:42:34 UTC 2009

In a message dated 4/21/2009 11:37:12 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
arromdee at rahul.net writes:

> And this doesn't even touch the issue of what to do with information is
> verifiable but false.>>
> -------------------

Biographical details aren't "True" or "False".
They are reported, repeated, cited, confirmed, evidenced, and so on.

Biography is no longer under the Dewey Decimal system.  The idea that a
biography, or even an auto-biography (or especially) is reporting "Truth" is an
old fiction itself.

If the subject of a Wiki-article feels that something is "false" the best
way to combat that is to publish themselves, on their own official website,
the "truth" of the matter and then link it in, or cite it.

We do not give BLP's control over what we report.  We give them equal
access.  If that person cannot be bothered to do that simple simple thing than
apparently they don't really care enough about the matter.

Will Johnson