[WikiEN-l] Citizendium vs. Wikipedia

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 17:57:09 UTC 2009

> I don't see why the writing of an article on Plato has to conflict with the
> writing of one on say... Platomon (I'm sure it's only a matter of time
> before that's a real Pokemon). Nor do I agree that having an article on the
> former and not the later makes you a better reference work.

Indeed. People speak of de:wp as more encyclopedia-like,
better-written, etc. than en:wp, but I've asked a couple of German
speakers about this and they tend to actually *use* en:wp as a
reference ... because it seems that in practice, breadth counts more
for usefulness than does looking like someone's ideal of an
encyclopedia.

- d.