[WikiEN-l] Where are the basic demographics on contributors?

Carl Beckhorn cbeckhorn at fastmail.fm
Fri Jul 25 12:57:38 UTC 2008

I'm very glad to see that this data has been collected, and think it's
an important step forward towards the professionalization of Wikimedia.

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 10:23:23PM -0700, Jonas Rand wrote:
> I don't want to seem rude, but I don't think that anyone cares about the
> demographics of Wikipedia. It doesn't matter.

It obviously matters to the Foundation for strategic planning, editor
recruitment, and so on.

As a more concrete example, information on the geographic distribution
and income distribution of contriutors would make it possible to plan
Wikimania locations in a more intentional manner.  Assuming, of course,
that a goal of Wikimania is to encourage participation by contributors
to Wikimedia projects.

 - Carl