[WikiEN-l] Harassment sites

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Mon Oct 15 22:14:34 UTC 2007

Will Beback wrote:
> I'm proposing that we extend that criteria
> to include a limit on self-published websites that are actively engaged
> in harassing Wikipedia editors because they don't help the encyclopedia.
> Doing so won't punish those sites, or even make them stop the
> harassment, but it will reduce the disruption to Wikipedia that those
> sites cause. If there's a better way to do that then please suggest it.

As I and others have explained, many believe including links does help
our readers readers, and that value does not obviously change based on
how much they like us. So if you're trying to convince, you'll have to
do more than assert otherwise.

As to reducing disruption, could you explain the mechanism to me there?
I'm not seeing it at all. As far as I can see, it can only make the
owner of the linked site more upset, which is not likely to reduce their
bad behavior.

And as to internal disruption, I think our best option is to just keep
on writing good encyclopedia articles no matter how their subjects feel
about us. Deciding whether their attitude or behavior crosses some line
of sufficient offensiveness to us has not proved to be notably
non-disruptive so far.

William

--
William Pietri <william at scissor.com>