[WikiEN-l] Slashdot: Book plagarized Wikipedia

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Nov 15 09:52:26 UTC 2007

Thomas Dalton wrote:

>>> If the licence requires attribution, then not attributing is copyright
>>> violation. Whether you call it "plagiarism" or not is irrelevant.
>>>
>> It's not a copyright violation; it's a breach of contract.
>>
> You can't breach a contract you never agreed to. If you say you're
> using it under the license and do so incorrectly, then yes, it's
> breach of contract, but if you just use it without reference to the
> license (which is what we're talking about here, as far as I know),
> then the license doesn't apply and it's copyright violation.
Arguing that you have not read the contract does not absolve you of its
terms.  With many licences simply availing oneself of their benefits
includes an implicit agreement with the terms of the licence.  This can
be the case with shrinkwraped licences where if you break the seal, you
agree to the licence.

Ec