[WikiEN-l] Slashdot: Book plagarized Wikipedia

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 21:09:27 UTC 2007

On 14/11/2007, Kwan Ting Chan <ktc at ktchan.info> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 20:24 +0000, Thomas Dalton wrote:
> > You can't breach a contract you never agreed to. If you say you're
> > using it under the license and do so incorrectly, then yes, it's
> > breach of contract, but if you just use it without reference to the
> > license (which is what we're talking about here, as far as I know),
> > then the license doesn't apply and it's copyright violation.
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/24/open_source_railroad/

Well, I don't really trust the register to accurately report the
details of the case, but from what they've said, I can't see how the
judge's reasoning makes any sense at all. That article only seems to
be addressing a preliminary injunction, rather than a full case, so
it's far from a final decision.