[WikiEN-l] Rx Dosage Instructions in Wikipedia

George Chriss GChriss at psu.edu
Sun Feb 18 20:06:27 UTC 2007

Hi,

I agree that providing well-sourced "typical amounts" (perhaps with a historical perspective?) is useful information.  That is not an issue.  Here is an abstract from [[Trimipramine]] without a citation:

"The recommended initial dose is 75 mg daily in two or three divided
doses. Initial tolerance may be tested by giving the patient 25 mg on
the evening of the first day...."

Which would be better written:

&quot;The American Medical Association recommends a dosage of 75mg for the treatment of acute <whatever> without complications.^A&quot;
A) The AMA reference (not rxlist.com)

If the AMA does provide such recommendations.  Having a vandal change specific dosage amounts is a scary prospect, as some people may actually trust our information at face value.

Thanks, George
en: [[User:GChriss]]

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 19:02:48 +0000  English Wikipedia  wrote:

On 18/02/07, George Chriss <GChriss at psu.edu> wrote:

> Is there a substantive reason that we provide dosage information on
prescription drugs?  I generally remove the following sections on sight:

Please don't do that. It's useful knowledge to know what dosages are
typically given for what.

e.g. amitryptyline, which has quite different dosages for depression
and for chronic pain relief (and has come into its own for the latter
after SSRIs beat it for the former).

- d.