[WikiEN-l] Deleting orphaned unfree images

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Sun Feb 11 01:02:18 UTC 2007

Thomas Dalton wrote:
>> I guess the articles I tend to edit must be unusually low traffic if you
>> feel 24 hours is sufficient to conclusively determine consensus on some
>> editorial question. Sorry for butting in.
>>

> It's enough time to determine if more time is needed. Admins are
> selected for their good judgement - try trusting them. The deleting
> admin just needs to click on the link to the article in the fair use
> rationale (if it doesn't state the article [and it's not just that the
> image page has been edited recently], then the image should be deleted
> straight away), and see if the removal was controversial. If some
> controversy starts after the 24 hours is up, then the image can be
> re-uploaded, or undeleted. Neither is much work. I would imagine any
> admin would undelete an image under such circumstances if asked.

I don't think either one is much work for the admin, but I think it's
the kind of thing that can take the wind out of an editor's sails,
especially a relative newbie, for whom this will be a fair bit of work.
What's the harm you're seeing it waiting a week?

Oh, and generally I do trust admins to use good judgment. But especially
given that they're overworked, it seems like we should pick defaults
that are reasonable, and require as little use of that good judgment as
possible.

Thanks,

William