[WikiEN-l] Deleting orphaned unfree images

Stan Shebs stanshebs at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 11 03:17:52 UTC 2007

William Pietri wrote:
> The 7 days here or 5 for proposed article deletion seems like a
> reasonable balance between friendliness and tidiness, but I'd be a
> little frustrated to find that something I was working on was gone
> because I'd taken the weekend off.

In fact I have a real-life example, where I was on vacation for a couple
weeks, during which some vandal blanked half of a stamp-related article,
which included the only refs to some fair-use scans I had made. Nobody
but me watching the article apparently, so the vandalism went
unreverted; then somebody came along and marked the now-unused images as
orphans, them somebody else deleted, all before I got back. Apparently
nobody thought it odd that a longtime WP admin would be uploading unused
fair-use images! Fortunately I had local copies - stamp scanning and
post-scan cleanup is sufficiently laborious that without the backups, I
probably wouldn't have troubled to redo the work.

Stan