[WikiEN-l] Deleting orphaned unfree images

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 01:32:39 UTC 2007

On 2/11/07, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> > So some knocks out the image 00.01 sunday with the result that no one
> > notices before 00.01 monday and image gets deleted when it should not
> > have been. No 7 days means it is generaly fairly safe to assume that
> > any contrivery will be mentioned on the page or is all over.
>
> And for those 7 days we are breaking the law.

who is we? see DMCA safe harbour.

> Copyright violation is
> illegal, and having an unlicensed image on Wikipedia without it being
> acceptable under fair use (and if it isn't used on any pages, then it
> isn't acceptable under fair use) is copyright violation.
>
> IANAL,

Neither am I but we have people who know rather a lot about copyright
involved in our deletion policies. I think it is safe to say if there
was a problem they would have told us.

>but I think we can justify 24 hours of violation while we work
> out what we should do, I don't think we can justify 7 days. Not when
> it is so easy to undo a deletion.

The foundation doesn't have to do anything until it gets a DMCA takedown notice.

--
geni