[WikiEN-l] Admin burnout

geni geniice at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 14:00:56 UTC 2007

On 2/9/07, Keitei <nihthraefn at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't suppose it has anything to do with the, "We are the priests;
> you are the janitors. Now shovel our crap." mindset.

Never really run across that one.

> In order to become an admin, one must have an impeccable track record
> and have been aiming for adminship for quite some time. Then one must
> jump through all sorts of flaming hoops while all the people one gets
> along with the least gather to heckle. Then having become an admin,
> one gets treated like shit by newcomers pissed that one has deleted
> their page,

Their feelings can be understood although in some cases their
behaviour can be kinda cute.

>trolls pissed that one has blocked them, POV pushers
> pissed that one has protected their page,

These form a fairly minor part of admin tasks. the number of pages
protected per month to stop edit waring is pretty low.

>users insistent that one is
> just the same as them and does not have any greater level of trust

That was the general theory.

> and should never be given any level of slack, users convinced that
> one is abusing one's powers,

Fairly easy to deal with.

> and "valued contributors" insistent that
> one does not matter and should go to hell because they do so much
> more and are so much more important to the encyclopedia.

Generaly there are few reasons to have dealings with such users beyond
those required by policy.

--
geni