[WikiEN-l] Admin burnout

Keitei nihthraefn at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 13:50:04 UTC 2007

On Feb 8, 2007, at 21:29, George Herbert wrote:
> We're doing terribly at keeping identified, overstressed admins from
> ending up going over the edge.  What are we doing wrong, or what do we
> need to learn to do right?

I don't suppose it has anything to do with the, "We are the priests;
you are the janitors. Now shovel our crap." mindset.

In order to become an admin, one must have an impeccable track record
and have been aiming for adminship for quite some time. Then one must
jump through all sorts of flaming hoops while all the people one gets
along with the least gather to heckle. Then having become an admin,
one gets treated like shit by newcomers pissed that one has deleted
their page, trolls pissed that one has blocked them, POV pushers
pissed that one has protected their page, users insistent that one is
just the same as them and does not have any greater level of trust
and should never be given any level of slack, users convinced that
one is abusing one's powers, and "valued contributors" insistent that
one does not matter and should go to hell because they do so much
more and are so much more important to the encyclopedia.

It's a wonder all the admins haven't left the project.

And from my experience as an admin at other wikis, it's not the
newbies or the vandals that get you down. It's the bitter resentment
from invested users targeted at you over and over and over again. As
if because the admins have such unspeakable power, they have to be
abused to keep them down, so they won't take over in power-mad fits.
It just gets to the point where one is like, "Fine! If you don't want
me around so much, I'll leave. Have fun."

And why shouldn't they? Nobody is obligated to stay and if admins
aren't valued, why would they want to?

--keitei