[WikiEN-l] Jayjg is not AWOL

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 18:40:40 UTC 2007

On 8/27/07, Frank Bellowes <fbellowes at gmail.com> wrote:
> Jimbo, the day that demands for accountability become "trolling" is
> the day Wikipedia ceases to be a project with some sort of social good
> in mind and becomes a private club. I don't think that's what most
> Wikipedians signed on to.
>
> Please do not label legitimate questions "trolling" just because you
> seem to prefer private accommodation to public responsibility.

The Wikipedia structure is not set up with total transparency.  We
have always had a structure that understood that some issues require
private review, due to sensitivity or personal information.  Any
organization in the real world has such issues and avenues for private
review.

It's not trolling to ask "are you looking at this?" or state "I'm very
concerned about this".

It is trolling, when told "we're looking at this" and "we're
concerned, too", to reply "BUT YOU NEED TO DO IT IN PUBLIC!!!".

We don't need to do it in public.

We shouldn't want to do it in public.  I don't want to be part of an
organization which refuses to conduct legitimately sensitive business
in private.

Accountability in some situations is "we trust Arbcom and Jimbo, who
we find to be honorable trustworthy people and who we expect to do the
right thing for Wikipedia, and explain to the degree possible
afterwards".

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com