[WikiEN-l] Hardblocking usernames

Kurt Maxwell Weber kmw at armory.com
Sat Aug 11 16:51:35 UTC 2007

On Saturday 11 August 2007 11:22, Josh Gordon wrote:
> This is basically the "lets bend over backwards to protect bad users from
> the ramifications of their actions" theory.

No, it's more like the "let's not be a bunch of uptight, pretentious
jackasses" theory.

Blocks are supposed to be preventative, not punitive.  Thus, the effects of
our blocks should be limited to preventing harm to Wikipedia itself.  We
should avoid causing collateral damage to the individual's reputation outside
of Wikipedia.

I fear, Mr. Gordon, that you are taking yourself and Wikipedia way too
seriously.

--
Kurt Weber
<kmw at armory.com>