[WikiEN-l] Phone calls in office

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Mon Mar 13 22:45:47 UTC 2006

On 3/13/06, Kelly Martin <kelly.lynn.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/13/06, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> > What would be lovely is if we could magically create some OTRS-like
> > system for phone calls. But that just wouldn't work...
>
> Sure it could. You'd just need a IVR that collected a phone message as
> a WAV or MP3 file and sent it as an attachment into the appropriate
> OTRS queue.  The voicemail system that came as a part of the VoIP
> system we deployed at my employer can do this.  (Actually I think the
> Foundation should look at setting up a VoIP network for internal
> coordination, meetings, and other useful functions.  But I digress.)
>
> Kelly

Asterisk is a GPLed software package which can do it.  'Course like
many things GPL, you'll probably spend more money setting it up than
you save vs. buying a prepackaged solution.

Additionally, I'd be surprised if Vonage or one of its competitors
doesn't already have something prepackaged which can do it.

Anthony