[WikiEN-l] Re: Fair use has come back to bite us

Peter Mackay peter.mackay at bigpond.com
Fri Jan 27 21:11:32 UTC 2006

> From: wikien-l-bounces at Wikipedia.org
> [mailto:wikien-l-bounces at Wikipedia.org] On Behalf Of Alphax
> (Wikipedia email)
> > That looks like link exchange spam to me. Some of the OTRS
> queues get
> > it every day. I very much doubt the sender knew anything more about
> > Wikipedia's image use policy than he knew about the
> thousands of other
> > email addresses he spammed. Besides, Wikipedia has long
> since passed
> > the point of being impressed by PR 6 or 7 ;)
>
> Oh, it is, but it's the reason they want to link to us which
> is worrying. We should *not* be a collection of movie posters
> or album covers.

I hate to gainsay a lady, but I couldn't see anything in their message to us
which indicated that they saw us in such a light.

Having said that, it might be worth checking to see if album covers or movie
posters are stored in a high-resolution format and asking that they be
deleted or downgraded if so. I wouldn't wish this on anybody as a project,
but it's something to think about next time you pass by (say) Star Wars
and/or Elton John.

Peter (Skyring)