Re: [WikiEN-l] Our Pokémon gallery

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Sun Jan 29 20:39:20 UTC 2006

On 1/29/06, Justin Cormack <justin at specialbusservice.com> wrote:

> On 29 Jan 2006, at 13:53, Anthony DiPierro wrote:
> > Most "fair-use opponents" realize that the real problem with relying
> > on fair use has nothing to do with Wikipedia's distribution over the
> > Internet.  The real problem comes into play with redistributors and
> > print/CD/DVD editions.
>
> I can imagine any such distributor using any fair use images at all.
>
> It would almost certainly fall under the deprivation of revenue
> clause - books and CD/DVD always license imagery.

I assume you mean "can't", and not "can".  In that case, I can see a
redistributor using *some* images available under fair use (though
probably not any Pokemon ones).    I certainly doubt it's true that
books and CD/DVD *always* license images, though off the top of my
head I don't know of any examples to the contrary.

And, of course, what people mean by "fair use images" varies.  There
are some images which aren't licensed, but would be available for use
under the laws of many countries, not just under the US doctrine of
fair use.  Are they "fair use images"?

> Perhaps we should be thinking of ways of making the encyclopaedia
> usable for this type of use?

Not just perhaps.  It is unarguably true that allowing distribution by
methods other than the Internet is a goal of the project.