[WikiEN-l] Re: Fair use has come back to bite us

Tim Starling t.starling at physics.unimelb.edu.au
Sat Jan 28 03:46:23 UTC 2006

Alphax (Wikipedia email) wrote:
> Tim Starling wrote:
[...]
>>That looks like link exchange spam to me. Some of the OTRS queues get it every day. I very much
>>doubt the sender knew anything more about Wikipedia's image use policy than he knew about the
>>thousands of other email addresses he spammed. Besides, Wikipedia has long since passed the point of
>>being impressed by PR 6 or 7 ;)
>>

> Oh, it is, but it's the reason they want to link to us which is
> worrying. We should *not* be a collection of movie posters or album covers.

They want to link to us because we're on a list of websites that have high pagerank, and they're
hoping we might repay their link to us with one in the reverse direction. It has nothing to do with
our content. The only thing they had to say about our site was "I've found your website to be a very
good fit for our visitors." The thing about the posters was how they wanted us to link to them, not
the other way around.

-- Tim Starling