[WikiEN-l] Admins who pretend to quit (was Re: MONGO and the ArbComm)

M Roget mroget at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 01:03:00 UTC 2006

*Jim Schuler* jim62sch at gmail.com
<wikien-l%40Wikipedia.org?Subject=%5BWikiEN-l%5D%20Admins%20who%20pretend%20to%20quit%20%28was%20Re%3A%20MONGO%20and%20the%0A%09ArbComm%29&In-Reply-To=46d9b7490612121324x44948df2h1aaaa3d5d96b4e28%40mail.gmail.com>
wrote:

>Happens in the real world too, it's just a part of life.  People get
>frustrated, they threaten to leave, they calm down and on it goes.  I know
>that some people like to think Wikipedia is some parallel universe where
the
>laws of reality are suspended and a Utopian ideal is supreme, but
>Wikipedians are flesh and blood real people whose flesh and blood
>emotions penetrate the brane separating Wikiworld from the real world.

In the real world if someone quit their job, emptied out their desk and then
came back after 3 days saying they'd changed their mind it would be up to
the boss to decide whether or not they can come back. If a boss said "sorry,
you resigned and I accepted your resignation" there's not an employment
tribunal in the world that would force the boss to rehire the employee.

Mongo quit, fine, that's his right, but if he changes his mind after 3 days
he should not expect to get his Admin status back. He's losing it anyway
because of ArbComm so the point's moot but if that wasn't the case it should
be up to the community whether he gets his admin status back after giving it
up by quitting.

Frankly, it looks like his "resignation" was a stunt to try to rally support
against the ArbComm decision to desysop him. That is disruptive but its the
sort of disruption that would be curtailed by a "you quit, you're
desysopped" rule.

And again, there's nothing here that would punish someone for taking a
wikibreak as long as they didn't claim that they were quitting when they
really were just taking a break.

Michel