[WikiEN-l] Admins who pretend to quit (was Re: MONGO and the ArbComm)

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Dec 13 20:01:50 UTC 2006

Gregory Maxwell wrote:

>On 12/12/06, charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
><charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>

>>>I like the notion of automatic desysoping for anyone who 'quits'
>>>simply because we can handle it in a straightforward and dispassionate
>>>way. It will give people cause to pause for a moment before they bring
>>>out the hysterical reaction. ... but until we become more fair about
>>>resysoping people, I'm not sure that the results would be good.
>>>

>>Define 'quits'. I can't, or don't want to. It certainly has no status as a concept.
>>

>Be reasonable, someone who says "I quit" and deletes their userpage,
>and then returns should qualify as someone whos engaging in overly
>dramatic and manipulative behavior. Don't call it 'quitting' if it
>bugs you, since it isn't...

Such actions are certainly dramatic, but too emotional to be
manipulative.  If they have really quit they aren't around to "cause
trouble", and no harm will be caused by waiting for a sensible time
before taking administrative action.  It's in the nature of hysterical
actios to NOT pause before acting; waiting will help to sort out those
that really mean what they say.  It's generally not considered to be
socially acceptable to say "Go ahead" when someone threatens suicide.

Ec