[WikiEN-l] Admins who pretend to quit (was Re: MONGO and the ArbComm)

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 01:14:34 UTC 2006

On 12/12/06, M Roget <mroget at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> Frankly, it looks like his "resignation" was a stunt to try to rally support
> against the ArbComm decision to desysop him. That is disruptive but its the
> sort of disruption that would be curtailed by a "you quit, you're
> desysopped" rule.
>
> And again, there's nothing here that would punish someone for taking a
> wikibreak as long as they didn't claim that they were quitting when they
> really were just taking a break.

Exactly.

I don't want to exacerbate problems for folks who are upset.. but at
the same time, we can't let people disrupt or manipulate us with
drama.

Our practices shape the way our contributors behave.  We'd and all our
contributors would be better off if people took breaks rather than
made big productions about quitting.

Of course, it wouldn't be fair to apply this to anyone who has already
quit prior to it being established.. after all the intent should be to
discourage disruption, not to punish folks for being human.