[WikiEN-l] MONGO and the ArbCom

Parker Peters onmywayoutster at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 15:12:58 UTC 2006

Okay, I'll weigh in on this. It took me three hours to look through
everything, but what the hey. I left Wikipedia because none of you would do
jack shit about real abusive administrators and real abusive POV-pushing
groups who twist and stretch policy in order to hurt others, but even I
think this is over the top.

Did MONGO misuse his admin tools? I have to say yes. Did he do so in a way
that was necessarily malicious? I don't necessarily think so. What I think
MONGO screwed up on is in relation to conflict of interest.

I'd be much happier if Arbcom had given MONGO some simple terms - say, a
requirement that he not use his admin powers in relation to any page he has
edited in a certain time frame.

But then again, yesterday I saw a normal user try to report another editor
for trolling (that is to say, making false edit summaries during an edit
conflict) and immediately get piled upon by the other editor's friends, and
now that they have been blocked for more than 3 days and had their talkpage
locked by admins who turned out to be the other editor's friends, because
when the admin friends started in their harassment campaign, the user
flailed about in a fashion very similar to how MONGO did.

Parker