[WikiEN-l] Libel chill

Michael Jennings metarhyme at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 17:56:12 UTC 2006

<slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:4cc603b0604210218i1e3bda8bk7fc75ac754817a05 at mail.gmail.com...
> On 4/20/06, Tim Starling <t.starling at physics.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
>> In some cases, we may need to make a tradeoff between NPOV and risk of being sued ...
>>
> We have three content policies that are very effective when applied
> together: NPOV, V, and NOR. When these are strictly adhered to, they
> produce articles with neutral content and encyclopedic tone (NPOV)
> that use only reputable sources (V), with the sources being used
> correctly so that no novel narratives are created (NOR) -- articles
> that are extremely unlikely ever to cause a problem.
>
> So I'd say it's not a question of sometimes needing to relax NPOV
> because of a libel problem, but the opposite -- we need to enforce
> NPOV and the other two policies rigorously, understand how they
> complement each other, and realize that, jointly, they're our very
> best protection.

Yes. There could be an NPOV patrol.

Is an article about a living person? Is an article controversial?

The NPOV patrol would paste the POV to talk, along with an
explanation and request for changes. A qualification of admins
should require acceptable prior service on the NPOV patrol.

I am suggesting implementation of an NPOV patrol.