[WikiEN-l] Libel chill

slimvirgin at gmail.com slimvirgin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 09:18:54 UTC 2006

On 4/20/06, Tim Starling <t.starling at physics.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
> In some cases, we may need to make a tradeoff between NPOV and risk of being sued ...

We have three content policies that are very effective when applied
together: NPOV, V, and NOR. When these are strictly adhered to, they
produce articles with neutral content and encyclopedic tone (NPOV)
that use only reputable sources (V), with the sources being used
correctly so that no novel narratives are created (NOR) -- articles
that are extremely unlikely ever to cause a problem.

So I'd say it's not a question of sometimes needing to relax NPOV
because of a libel problem, but the opposite -- we need to enforce
NPOV and the other two policies rigorously, understand how they
complement each other, and realize that, jointly, they're our very
best protection.

Sarah