[WikiEN-l] Support freedum of infromashuon

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 01:48:15 UTC 2005

I've got no problem with "freedom of information" and certainly think
that this alleged memo should be published widely when and if it is
released/exists/etc., but Wikipedia and the WMF cannot be vehicles for
this sort of political controversy (talk about POV pushing). If WP has
any legal obligation to follow the Official Secrets Act or whatever (I
imagine it does -- the idea that the UK and US wouldn't have worked
out these sorts of things in treaties seems unrealistic to me) then it
shouldn't break the law. Doing so would put the whole project at risk
for what would in practice be little gain. I do not think there will
be a difficulty in finding people to post the contents of whatever
this memo is. If it comes down to Wikipedia being the last possible
outlet in the world, then maybe we could talk about it.

And let's also remember that Wikipedia is a place full of contributors
from all political and ideological backgrounds, all of which are
welcome to contribute as long as they obey a few simple rules.

FF