[WikiEN-l] Support freedum of infromashuon

Justin Cormack justin at specialbusservice.com
Tue Nov 29 00:04:50 UTC 2005

On 28 Nov 2005, at 20:52, geni wrote:

> On 11/28/05, stevertigo <vertigosteve at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Since Wikipedia is supposed to be, like, into this
>> 'freedom of information thing,' (and stuff) and, like,
>> that includes our friends even in the UK, who arent
>> used to like, living under freedom (and stuff)...
>>
>> I thought it might not be out of our mandate to put
>> this little image (
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Illpublish.png ) on
>> the front page. Maybe even at Wikisource! (Im sure
>> somebody here is an admin there. Ive only got my meta
>> priveleges left now - snif!). The image is a little
>> white box that says "Ill publish the Al Jazeera memo."
>> It may or may not be linked to the Blairwatch.org
>> site.
>>
>> Anyway, though it might, like, be cheezy to stand up
>> for freedom of information (and stuff) though. Plus,
>> that might violate Wikisource's NOR policy.
>>
>> Stevertigo
>>  Confused: Is it still called 'Valspeak'
>>  when a guy uses it?
>

> The front page of wikipedia should not be used for campianing whatever
> the cause. We don't have a big notice on the front page when china
> banned as I fail to see a reason to put up a notice now.

Best thing is to make it a featured article, it will get on the
front page fast.

But I am in the UK so not like used to freedom or stuff so
what do I know.

Stevertigo, the UK press normally ignore official secrets act "gagging".
There is a public interest defence. Sometimes someone goes to prison
its true.

Justinc