[WikiEN-l] Re: People editing their own Wikipedia articles.

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Thu Nov 24 17:53:25 UTC 2005

Tom Cadden wrote:
> But what if an article contains a widely believed 'fact' that
> actually is bullshit.
>
> eg,
>
> Michael was born in Toronto in 1956 and moved to Atlanta in 1961.
>
> But Michael finds the article and knows that he was born in Ottawa
> but his family moved to Toronto some months after his birth. Plenty
> of internet sites say Toronto but he knows for a fact that it is
> wrong. Can he correct that, or does he need to produce his birth
> certificate to correct an error about himself? lol

I know this posting is a bit old, but I just wanted to say something
here. People always act like there are only two possibilities. In this
case, the perceived two possibilities are either the article says
"Toronto" or the article says "Ottawa". If you think about it, though,
you'll see that if hundreds of sources on the Internet say Toronto it
makes perfect sense to state explicitly that those websites are wrong.
This will show a reader that the author of the Wikipedia article --
whether it be that very Michael or not -- is aware of the fact that
other sites claim "Toronto" and that the author still thinks Ottawa is
right. That's much more convincing than just seeing it say "Ottawa" and
all other easy-to-find sources say "Toronto", which makes it look much
more like a simple mistake.

Timwi