[WikiEN-l] People editing their own Wikipedia articles.

Fred Bauder fredbaud at ctelco.net
Thu Nov 17 13:36:56 UTC 2005

Editing you own article is not forbidden but is strongly discouraged.
There is no problem with Charles or William correcting an error of
this nature anonymously. A problem could arise if they begin
intensive editing in order to remove negative information or add
positive information. As the article is watched there is little
danger of plainly false negative information remaining anyway. In
more ordinary situations, as no one may be watching the article false
negative information may linger for a very long time and the
temptation will arise to remove it themselves or try by complaining
to get it removed. If basically the only published material about a
person is some negative incident they are in a bad fix. Other facts
about them are not sourced or notable.

One usual problem of autobiographical articles is not present here.
Charles is notable so the vanity page problem doesn't arise. Their
problem is quite different. If they are caught editing their pages
especially with respect to point of view they will look bad, not
dignified, and dignity is their prime asset.

Fred