[WikiEN-l] the GNAA thing

Craig Schiller craigbear at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 20:09:19 UTC 2005

Okay, clearly I need to be more specific.

Am I the only one who's bothered that there's a concerted disruption
campaign going on by a self-admitted bunch of trolls to remove blog
articles, *not* on the grounds of whether they're notable or not, but
on "blogs must be deleted on principle just for being blogs" grounds?

Am I the only one who's bothered that now that I've taken to flagging
GNAA sockpuppets on some of them, the GNAA sockpuppets are in turn
flagging *real* votes as sockpuppets?

Am I the only one who's bothered that the whole thing impairs the
possibility of determining what the real consensus of legitimate users
*is*?

Am I the only one who actually finds the idea of letting the GNAA
disrupt Wikipedia for fun to be a *fundamentally* problematic thing
*regardless* of the merits or lack thereof of the articles?

I'm not saying we should keep all blog articles; I'm saying that
what's going on isn't providing a legitimate consensus on the
notability or non-notability of any of the blogs under debate. There's
even one AFD on their hit list which has been voted on *exclusively*
by GNAA socks; not a single legitimate user has even said a *word*.
What if it's then closed by an admin who doesn't know what's going on?
Will that somehow be considered a genuine consensus on the article's
non-notability?

The only consensus it's establishing that Wikipedia permits trolls to
*dictate* Wikipedia content -- and I find it *exceedingly* hard to
believe that I'm the only person who thinks that's not a consensus we
should be encouraging.

Craig