[WikiEN-l] the GNAA thing

Jtkiefer jtkiefer at wordzen.net
Wed Nov 16 20:18:39 UTC 2005

Craig Schiller wrote:

>Okay, clearly I need to be more specific.
>
>Am I the only one who's bothered that there's a concerted disruption
>campaign going on by a self-admitted bunch of trolls to remove blog
>articles, *not* on the grounds of whether they're notable or not, but
>on "blogs must be deleted on principle just for being blogs" grounds?
>
>Am I the only one who's bothered that now that I've taken to flagging
>GNAA sockpuppets on some of them, the GNAA sockpuppets are in turn
>flagging *real* votes as sockpuppets?
>
>Am I the only one who's bothered that the whole thing impairs the
>possibility of determining what the real consensus of legitimate users
>*is*?
>
>Am I the only one who actually finds the idea of letting the GNAA
>disrupt Wikipedia for fun to be a *fundamentally* problematic thing
>*regardless* of the merits or lack thereof of the articles?
>
>I'm not saying we should keep all blog articles; I'm saying that
>what's going on isn't providing a legitimate consensus on the
>notability or non-notability of any of the blogs under debate. There's
>even one AFD on their hit list which has been voted on *exclusively*
>by GNAA socks; not a single legitimate user has even said a *word*.
>What if it's then closed by an admin who doesn't know what's going on?
>Will that somehow be considered a genuine consensus on the article's
>non-notability?
>
>The only consensus it's establishing that Wikipedia permits trolls to
>*dictate* Wikipedia content -- and I find it *exceedingly* hard to
>believe that I'm the only person who thinks that's not a consensus we
>should be encouraging.
>
>Craig

Yes, this is a very disturbing trend, however since the GNAA don't wear
bullseyes on their IP's and edit from all sorts of places all around the
world I have no idea how we could possibly stop this, I'm open to any
ideas though.  My suggestion for this is to make a note on any relevant
AFD that you suspect GNAA activity and if it's specific votes then note
which votes you suspect and keep an eye out to make sure your note isn't
deleted and the closing admin should hopefully take that into account
and/or investigate further when closing the afd.

-Jtkiefer