[WikiEN-l] Tower of Babel - Voting to ignore MoS, NCs for language reasons.

Tony Sidaway f.crdfa at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 09:51:10 UTC 2005

On 11/13/05, charles matthews <charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Tony Sidaway wrote
>
> > Consensus cannot be gauged only by voting; the
> external sources comprehensively refute the votes for the French name.
>
> That's simplistic here.  I wouldn't be surprised to hear 'Ivory Coast' on
> BBC radio, because it is much easier to grok.  But I don't imagine the BBC
> thinks that's the real name of the country.  Diplomats are supposed to be
> able to hack French pronunciation.  Let's face it, most anglophones can't.
> However WP is a written medium.

What is the name of that country in the middle of Europe, famous for
its sausages and beer?  Deutschland or Germany?  How about the big one
on the bottom left, Sandwiched between France and North Africa?  Spain
or España?  Is it The Netherland or Nederland, Italy or Italia, Japan
or Nihon, Sweden or Sverige?

Of course Ivory Coast is the real name of the country, just as Royaume
Uni is the real French name of the UK, and it would be a very
fatheaded French speaker indeed who insisted on parking the article on
the UK under United Kingdom where hardly anybody would look for it.