[WikiEN-l] Tower of Babel - Voting to ignore MoS, NCs for language reasons.

charles matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Sun Nov 13 09:28:19 UTC 2005

Tony Sidaway wrote

> Consensus cannot be gauged only by voting; the
external sources comprehensively refute the votes for the French name.

That's simplistic here.  I wouldn't be surprised to hear 'Ivory Coast' on
BBC radio, because it is much easier to grok.  But I don't imagine the BBC
thinks that's the real name of the country.  Diplomats are supposed to be
able to hack French pronunciation.  Let's face it, most anglophones can't.
However WP is a written medium.

Charles