[WikiEN-l] Please help. please.

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Sat May 31 15:54:27 UTC 2003

On Fri, 30 May 2003, Stan Shebs wrote:

> Julie Kemp wrote:
>
> > Anyway, could someone not currently involved (or who has not yet been
> > blasted) PLEASE take a look? There's a frightening amount of
> > commentary, but I think this person is not in any way aware of how to
> > work with others or really interested in participating in a positive
> > manner. I am not using the "b" word, but if that is already something
> > this user is under (it has been suggested he's DW), then it's not a
> > problem. If it's not, perhaps someone with a Voice of Authority (and
> > in his eyes, the only authority is Jimbo, whose wrath he threatens
> > regularly) could ask him nicely to quit his abuse and play nice?
> >
> I've read most or all of the commentary (I don't know why :-) ),
> and I think he/she probably wants to work with others at some
> level, but is incapable of actually doing so. At this point I
> would just say to fix mistakes in article edits and otherwise
> don't pay much attention to him/her.
>
> Triton reminds me a little of a certain type of student that
> you may have encountered too - wants to contribute, maybe even
> eager, but thick as a plank, unable to follow the discussion,
> and eventually becoming resentful and hostile as a result of
> repeated failure. It's sad, and we should give people like that
> the benefit of the doubt, but ultimately we have to ask ourselves
> whether (precious) time spent on the person is just being thrown
> down the drain.

I'm a little slow in contributing to this thread, but I'd like to
ask for a little patience with T for a while. I'm the ``llywrch"
Julie mentioned [*], & despite his faults I believe T is not
a troll. (Difficult, poor social skills, a tendency to graniloquent
langauge, obsessive over certain points of view, yes -- but I can
be too. Which is probably one reason I want to try to help T.)

I'd like to point to the fact that I entered the Clovis I edit war
a few days ago & managed to find a compromise between T & Julie.
And last time I looked at the article -- yesterday -- there wasn't
anything in it that I would seriously question.

So what I'm asking is that everyone leave T alone for a few days &
let me work with him. At the worst he leaves Julie & some others
alone for a while - & I learn I don't have any mentoring skills;
at the best I help him understand how to contribute to Wikipedia
in a constructive way.

Okay?

Geoff