[WikiEN-l] American diplomatic listings

james duffy jtdirl at hotmail.com
Fri May 30 02:27:40 UTC 2003

>Zoe wrote

>We keep having this discussion and I keep asking why
>we would rather delete something that discusses
>America instead of adding something that discusses
>other countries, but I already know the answer to
>that, so there's no point in my even bringing it up
>again.

I never said to delete them. I said to move them. It is utterly impractical
to keep them there because

1. Many states have over 100 ambassadors accredited to them. There is no way
we could get all that information, place all that information and not simply
end up with pages that have 5% of the space given over to the country about
which the page is concerned and 95% devoted to a list of ambassadors to and
from that country.

2. That information changes regularly. It would be almost impossible to keep
all the pages up to date.

3. Why should the rest of the world have to chase around tracking down
detailed information to try to balance out the americocentism of an article
when that americocentrism shouldn't be there in the first place?

A far better solution should be to remove this information from those pages,
where it should not be in the first place - making them americocentrist is
hardly NPOV!). Brion already has said that wiki policy is that that
information should not be there. It should either be moved to a special page
devoted to US diplomatic representation, or cut out entirely. But as it is
against wiki policy to have that stuff there and it breaks NPOV rules, these
entries have to be removed. Where they are removed to is simply the issue.

JT