[WikiEN-l] Advertising for website by anonymous user 24.132.158.131

rednblack at alum.mit.edu rednblack at alum.mit.edu
Fri May 30 03:32:06 UTC 2003

An anonymous user has inserted the following text into basically every article
relating to gay film:

"[http://www.aboutgaymovies.info/ About Gay Movies] for information about gay
themed movies and TV series."

Or, sometimes:

"[http://www.aboutgaymovies.info/ About Gay Movies]: Information about gay
themed movies & tv-series. Also gay movie history, wallpapers, glbt
filmfestivals, sweepstakes and more."

This is essentially an effort to advertise for a (mediocre) website. I think
this is a bad idea, and we should discourage it, and maybe make some formal
proviso against it.

The user has contributed what appears at first glance to be some good content
([[Chubby culture]]), but at second glance it's just the [[Bear community]]
article s///d into an article on chubbies. Dunno what to think of that, but
anyway..

Saurabh

http://www.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Special:Contributions&target=24.132.158.131

------
The great lesson of history is that knowledge develops through the conflict of
viewpoints... a consensus view... severely stultifies; it fails to see the
problems of that consensus and it depends on the existence of critics to break
up that iceberg and permit knowledge to develop. -- Walter Gilbert