[WikiEN-l] User preferences changes

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Sat May 17 07:57:30 UTC 2003

More guinea-pigging for the new server. :)  Some slight changes
installed on the English wiki and put in CVS:

[X] Show preview before edit box and not after it
  (default: on)

  Not new, but it's now on by default, as requested by many people
  and opposed by no one. Existing user accounts will keep whatever was
  selected, so if you haven't turned it on, give it a try.

  (While we're on the subject, may I propose moving the copyright/
  license notice to come _before_ the save button so people will
  actually be able to see it?)

[ ] Disable page caching
  (default: off)

  Changes the HTTP headers to tell your browser not to cache pages.
  May help for those with oddly behaving proxies or to work around
  some cache bugs temporarily. Most people should not need this; it's
  just a workaround for those having problems. Anyone who tries it,
  please let me know if it helps. Or if it doesn't :)

Server time is now: 07:20
Local time display: 07:20
Offset: 0
[ Fill in from browser ]

  I've also added a JavaScript-based button to ask your browser for the
  appropriate timezone offset, for those who may not be able to guess
  from the now-displayed server time & currently selected local time
  variant.

  Tested in Mozilla and Konqueror.

I think we'll have to rewrite the preferences screen soon, it's a bit
cluttered. :)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)