[teampractices] W. Edwards Deming - The Deadly Diseases of Management

Max Binder mbinder at wikimedia.org
Wed Aug 17 23:43:19 UTC 2016

Thanks for your input, Marti. I think it's interesting to think of the list
you provided in terms of WMF and/or the community.

>    1. Lack of constancy of purpose
>       1. No planning for the future
>       2. Lack of long-term definition of goals

This has been true in the (at least perceived) sense of WMF's strategy, but
also/alternatively in the sense of the community lacking agreement on what
it wants to accomplish in the long term, and everyone's lack of
understanding around the future of the movement as it pertains to our
projects (as opposed to "free knowledge overall").

>    1. Emphasis on short-term profits
>       1. Worship of the quarterly dividend
>       2. Sacrificing long-term growth of the company

While of course this is not directly applicable (WMF doesn't do profit) I'm
not sure how this applies. Focus on fundraising and slave to it? Accepting
appropriation of content in a way that doesn't give back to WMF? Simply
Quarterly Planning?

the historical context of the work we do and to get to know some of the
> people/concepts/etc that have greatly influenced a lot of the
> approaches/perspectives we in the TPG take.

Hear, hear. :)