[teampractices] W. Edwards Deming - The Deadly Diseases of Management

Arthur Richards arichards at wikimedia.org
Wed Aug 17 19:33:23 UTC 2016

Good stuff, thanks for sharing this, Max.

As a somewhat related aside, I just finished reading a book called 'The Age
of Heretics: A History of the Radical Thinkers who Reinvented Corporate
Management
<https://www.amazon.com/Age-Heretics-Reinvented-Corporate-Management/dp/0470190701>',
which chronicles some of the 'heretical' figures in the world of corporate
management (essentially a condensed history of organizational development
as a field). Deming was one of the 'heretics' discussed in the book. I
hadn't known previously that he was one of the grandparents of 'total
quality management' which caught on big time in Japan (eg Toyota) after
World War II but was basically ignored in the US until the late 80s/90s
when his ideas began to catch on; until managing for short-term gains
(focusing on short term ROI, managing by metrics, command and control, etc)
reasserted itself and squashed all that. Anyway, I dunno what things are
like these days in the corporate world, but I have the sense that things in
the US (at least in the software world) are generally caught somewhere in
between the two. The book's worth a read if you're interested in this kinda
stuff; I personally found it fascinating to better understand the
historical context of the work we do and to get to know some of the
people/concepts/etc that have greatly influenced a lot of the
approaches/perspectives we in the TPG take.

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 11:26 AM, Max Binder <mbinder at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Interesting video, also kind of funny. A bit dated, but some
> still-relevant goodies. ~15 minutes.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehMAwIHGN0Y&feature=youtu.be
>
> Relevant Wikipedia article:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Edwards_Deming#Key_principles
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Edwards_Deming#Seven_Deadly_Diseases

Arthur Richards
Sr. Agile Coach: Organizational Collaboration
Team Practices Group <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Team_Practices_Group>
[[User:Awjrichards]]
IRC: awjr
+1-415-839-6885 x6687