[teampractices] Documentation on software engineer gradings?

Dan Garry dgarry at wikimedia.org
Tue Feb 17 17:26:33 UTC 2015

Do we have documentation anywhere on what is expected of the different
gradings (for lack of a better word) of Software Engineer, e.g. Associate
Software Engineer vs Software Engineer vs Senior Software Engineer vs
Principal Software Engineer? It seems we have a mental model for this, so
it might be helpful to write it down and discuss it.

A draft table that Howie put together for the gradings of Product Manager
is available here:
https://docs.google.com/a/wikimedia.org/document/d/1n-eZUSqtD11_qEO0LkqjbIez_IRyQ8Vn3TgkKLo-QzQ/edit

Such documentation tends to be fairly high-level and open to
interpretation, but I find it's helpful to get a sense of the different
responsibilities, especially for people that are new to the organisation.
It also helps people to reflect on themselves and hone in on what they want
to improve about themselves.

Dan

--
Dan Garry