[teampractices] Documentation on software engineer gradings?

James Douglas jdouglas at wikimedia.org
Tue Feb 17 17:47:35 UTC 2015

Yesterday there was an article[1] about flipping the Joel Test[2] around to
focus on software developers.  It's pretty high level, but might be a handy
resource for formalizing software engineer gradings:

> The Simple Programmer Test
>
> 1. Can you use source control effectively?
> 2. Can you solve algorithm-type problems?
> 3. Can you program in more than one language or technology?
> 4. Do you do something to increase your education or skills every day?
> 5. Do you name things appropriately?
> 6. Can you communicate your ideas effectively?
> 7. Do you understand basic design patterns?
> 8. Do you know how to debug effectively?
> 9. Do you test your own code?
> 10. Do you share your knowledge?
> 11. Do you use the best tools for your job?
> 12. Can you build an actual application?

1.
http://simpleprogrammer.com/2015/02/16/joel-test-programmers-simple-programmer-test/
2. http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000043.html