[teampractices] Towards more holistic product/feature development

Arthur Richards arichards at wikimedia.org
Thu Nov 21 18:35:05 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 5:29 PM, Bryan Davis <bd808 at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 6:26 PM, Diederik van Liere
> <dvanliere at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 10:39 AM, Bryan Davis <bd808 at wikimedia.org>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> A practice group is a cross-team collection of individuals who are
> >> specialized or inclined to a particular role within each scrum team.
> >> QA, UI/UX and Operations are common practice groups in larger
> >> scrum shops {{Citation needed}}. Members of a practice group
> >> communicate issues and learnings across teams to lift the standard
> >> for their speciality across the organization.
> >
> > I believe that Steven's recent posts about Spotify and Yammer
> > illustrate such practice groups. See for example Scaling Agile at
> > Spotify @
> > https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1018963/Articles/SpotifyScaling.pdf
>
> Thanks for reminding me of this article. I spent some time at
> $DAYJOB-1 championing a matrix based organizational shift inspired
> by this exact article and some additional readings I had done.

Bryan, do you by chance recall some of the other readings on the subject?

Last night, I had a really interesting conversation with Henrik Kniberg -
one of the authors of the Spotify paper. It was super inspiring and gave me
a lot more food for thought. After ruminating on it some more, I plan to
share some notes from the conversation as well as some thoughts on this
list. Anyway, I'd love to read more on the subjects.

--
Arthur Richards
Software Engineer, Mobile