[QA] Fwd: SonarQube and Puppet

Marko Obrovac mobrovac at wikimedia.org
Sun Feb 14 20:36:26 UTC 2016

On 13 February 2016 at 19:56, Mukunda Modell <mmodell at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Guillaume, this sounds really great, we definitely could benefit from
> better CI for puppet code. It's one of the most difficult systems to test
> properly and it's difficult to predict what the exact results will be when
> making changes to existing puppet configurations.

On the functional part of testing ops/puppet changes (as in: what will
happen on the target nodes after applying this change), we could have a
trigger set up for the puppet compiler~[1] that would post a comment with
the changes in Gerrit. The target nodes could be indicated with a line in
the PS' commit message, perhaps. Something like:

Regular commit msg here ...

Affects: node1.eqiad.wmnet,node2.codfw.wmnet
Bug: TXXXX
Commit-Id: XXXXXXXXXXX

Zuul could detect the line and automatically start a puppet compiler round.

Cheers,
Marko

[1] https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Nova_Resource:Puppet3-diffs

> Let me know if there is anything I can help with. All of release
> engineering team are very busy with various projects right now but I'd like
> to see this happen sooner rather than later so I will try to find the time
> to help out.
>
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 11:34 AM, Greg Grossmeier <greg at wikimedia.org>
> wrote:
>
>> <quote name="Guillaume Lederrey" date="2016-02-11" time="18:24:26 +0100">
>> > Seems I have 10% time that I can allocate to something like that. That
>> > would be a good way to get my hands dirty with continuous integration...
>>
>> :D
>>
>> > I'll see if there is something I can do...
>>
>> Let us know if/when you have questions!
>>
>> Greg
>>

>> --
>> | Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
>> | identi.ca: @greg                A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |

Marko Obrovac, PhD
Senior Services Engineer
Wikimedia Foundation