[Foundation-l] Board resolutions on controversial content and images of identifiable people

FT2 ft2.wiki at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 22:02:51 UTC 2011

I took it as stating the obvious, what we all knew to expect, with one
bonus:

   1. *"The Wikimedia Foundation Board affirms that Wikimedia projects are
   not censored"* is stated first, and as a positive affirmative assertion.
   Everything else follows that. I like that establishment of basic principle
   as being first and clearly said, before discussing the minority cases of
   contentious material.  It gives something firm to stand on as a principle,
   if in years to come, this or that group or country tries to limit or
   manipulate.  A positive statement's useful that way.

   It then says what we all pretty much knew it would.

   2. Actively manage uploaded files to make sure they are relevant and
   appropriate to our mission and criteria; and
   3. Develop a way that people who don't want to see certain types of image
   can collapse or not see them without other people being affected.

No surprises, much as anyone expected. Endorsement of not-very-contentious
conclusion.

FT2