[Foundation-l] Board resolutions on controversial content and images of identifiable people

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 22:03:33 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 5:52 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1 June 2011 21:35, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Forgive me if I find these resolutions rather toothless; this is
>> another in a string of board resolutions that simply "urge the
>> projects." I'd love to understand what the Board thinks such
>> resolutions will accomplish.
>

> It says very effectively (I thought) to the censorious: "We have given
> your position a great deal of due careful consideration, and urge you
> to go away. The issue is dead." Of course, I could just be projecting
> my own feelings onto it. In which case, it's even better.
>
> It should be thought of, IMO, as being primarily for external consumption.
>

> - d.

I expect and hope that the WMF board is a little more honest and
straightforward than that would suggest. The resolution could be read
as CYA - an intentionally deflective statement with no concrete
impact. But I'd prefer to assume that the Board expects some sort of
gradual adjustment in procedures enacted by local projects on their
own initiative, using the resolution as ammunition in the inevitable
debates. Hard to be sure, so I'd rather hear it from the horse's
mouth.