[Foundation-l] The problem with Incubator: An interactive journey

Robin Pepermans robinp.1273 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 00:08:22 UTC 2011

Hi,

@Mark: although I do not like your tone in your original post, you
provide some good feedback (and started a thread with more feedback),
which is more than welcome.
2. Do you have a suggestion as an alternative for the term "incubating
wikis"? Is the more often used "test wiki" better?
5. I improved the Incubator:Wikis list so it is more intuitive, I
hope. As for the order, it is alphabetically.

@Fajro "The link from the test-wiki should direct to the proper recent
changes."
The links on Wx/xyz pages do, or are you referring to links somewhere else?

@Thomas: Info pages like
http://robinpepermans.be/mw-dev/index.php?title=Wn/shi will be coming
soon, and the redirects will hopefully be implemented this year or
early next year. As far as I can see, this will allow interwiki links
from any project to an incubator test wiki, which is a very good thing
(will not work for languages unknown to Wikimedia, with current setup)

@Nathan: A kind of "language searcher" to more easily find test wikis,
is on my to-do list.

And I added one more thing to the to-do list: improving
http://www.wikipedia.org/ and similar portals. Thanks for that idea.

In general, we are moving from the "request a new wiki (and oh, we
need to make some pages at Incubator)" way to "start your own wiki at
Incubator, and if it is big, we can request to move to an own
subdomain".
This way, we can put starting wikis back in the hands of volunteers
without needing to create separate (inactive) wikis for each of them.

I should communicate better about my work. Anyway, I plan to propose a
presentation at Wikimania next year about these things.

Regards,
SPQRobin