[Foundation-l] Unable to vote

Delphine Ménard notafishz at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 09:03:32 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 10:13 PM, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:

>> I would almost go so far as to say that suffrage should go to project
>> admins, completely ignoring edit count.
>
> Adminship is politicized on all the larger projects, causing a lot of
> experienced, competent, deeply invested users to have zero interest in
> adminship.  It's a mismatch.
[snip]

I agree with Greg here.

> For developers/sysadmins/meta-pedians  you could simply create an
> additional rule as was done for staff. I don't think many people would
> object to a rule making that that says "If you have SVN checkin to the
> mediawiki ,SVN or  if you have elevated access to the foundation
> servers, or if you've made 400 posts to the foundation's lists, or if
> you've billed more than 400 hours to the WMF,  you can vote".

How about keeping some kind of edit count (ie. minimum X edits
altogether but no time limit) and then having an opt-in option?

In short, in order to have the right to vote, you must express your
interest in voting *before* the election. That is, for example, a
month before the candidates are asked to submit their platforms, you
have a projects-wide announcement that calls for a voting pool. "If
you're interested, please enroll today in the voting lists".

Just a thought,

Delphine
(who is also *not* allowed to vote on any public wiki :( - but I got other ways)
--
~notafish