[Foundation-l] Unable to vote

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Jun 3 18:24:29 UTC 2008

Delphine Ménard wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 10:13 PM, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
>
>> For developers/sysadmins/meta-pedians  you could simply create an
>> additional rule as was done for staff. I don't think many people would
>> object to a rule making that that says "If you have SVN checkin to the
>> mediawiki ,SVN or  if you have elevated access to the foundation
>> servers, or if you've made 400 posts to the foundation's lists, or if
>> you've billed more than 400 hours to the WMF,  you can vote".
>>
> How about keeping some kind of edit count (ie. minimum X edits
> altogether but no time limit) and then having an opt-in option?

The two types of edit count serve two different functions, and if there
are other ways of answering those questions that's fine.  The long term
edit count expresses some degree of commitment rather than drive-by
activity.  The 600 figure seems somewhat arbitrary, but so would a
larger or smaller figure. The short term figure answers the question,
"Are you still alive?"  Even one edit during the specified time might be
enough for this, as could evidence of other useful activity within that
same time.
> In short, in order to have the right to vote, you must express your
> interest in voting *before* the election. That is, for example, a
> month before the candidates are asked to submit their platforms, you
> have a projects-wide announcement that calls for a voting pool. "If
> you're interested, please enroll today in the voting lists".
I don't think that will work.  However many such announcements you make
there will always be a large number complaining that they were never
notified that an election was coming.  You can put deadlines on
candidate submissions since anyone who isn't clueful enough to figure
that out probably shouldn't be a candidate in the first place.  Voters
are a different matter.

Ec