[Foundation-l] Unable to vote

Jesse Plamondon-Willard pathoschild at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 20:39:52 UTC 2008

Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps just make a rule that says "The election committee can
> enfranchise anyone else who doesn't fulfil this limit but has
> contributed to the community, at their discretion", and provide some
> guidelines? Means we don't need to worry about a barrage of additional
> special-case groups...

I think it's a bad idea to have a group of users arbitrarily pick who
gets to vote. Any lack of checks and balances leads to temptation to
decide exceptions depending on how much one likes a particular person.
Even someone with stringent moral character will necessarily make
subjective decisions, and then need spend a lot of time defending
those subjective decisions from community members who reach a
different subjective decision.

There should be specific public criteria published before the
elections start and applied objectively to all users (as is current
practice). Unfortunately, community participation is notoriously
difficult to measure.

--
Yours cordially,
Jesse Plamondon-Willard (Pathoschild)